Monday, August 6, 2007

Art is a hammer ...

Hey everybody: Sorry I didn't make it down for all the work on Saturday. Was sick and slept it off until 4 pm, then got an invite to join some friends for food and music at Sheldrake Point.

I was in the studio Sunday afternoon into early evening, however, before Tom was showing around the young photographer interested in working at RRL. Before that I was finishing a piece and hurting for fasteners -- when I couldn't find what I wanted I smashed a few pushpins with a hammer; plastic bits flying everywhere. It was very therapeutic.

Kudos:
- Melissa's show looks good. I like how she used the furniture, Reidy, Taylor and dog (sorry, I am spacing on all names today).
- Dan's "KURT" sign looks REALLY good. I finally installed it after being tired of looking at it for weeks as 'separates'. I used the ladder and was very safe.
- Thanks to Dan for helping me over the phone with a shelf for my piece. Tom says it's maybe an inch too high, oh well. I was more concerned with no one touching it.
– I have one more simple/small framed item that might hang, but not sure just where it should go right now. As well as the usual uncertainty that it should go up at all.
- Thanks Jan for keeping us updated on all the visiting young'uns. It made my week.

See everybody soon; I'll stop by tonight, Wednesday and of course Friday.


4 comments:

Jan said...

I am so glad Dan paid tribute to Kurt Vonnegut. I feel like this year we have lost some significant artistic geniuses - Kurt, Ingmar Bergman, and Michelangelo Antonioni -- I saw Blow Up at 15 and was thoroughly shocked. And I eventually became a photographer. Wonder if that movie influenced me?

Dan A. said...

Oh, almost certainly, Jan. I love Antonioni too, and regret not knowing at the time that he visited Cornell a few times back in the '80s. I think I only saw Blow-Up in a way that I could appreciate it fully just about a year ago. L'Avventura and The Passenger are my other favorites, but I've seen a lot of his work - more recently, his contribution to Eros.

We also lost Lee Hazlewood today... "Summer Wine" and so much more.

Now ... I know how Dan feels about KV - but despite all that, I thought it was about Cobain! Others might interpret it the same way. Maybe I've been too long in the rock world. Or I am just an idiot.
I'll bring my Vonnegut scrapbook down to the studio sometime soon.

See the cat? See the cradle?

lady of the lake said...

Oh, Dan A, You make a good point... maybe it is Cobain!

Dan A. said...

No, it's probably Vonnegut - but still, either way it will resonate with a LOT of people.