Monday, August 20, 2007

L'Avventura



L'Avventura opened my eyes to what film can communicate better than any other medium -- for the first time I saw beyond character, story, scene and effects, and discovered a rich language of image and mood, and backgrounds and landscapes that spoke louder than the actors.
((I could say the same thing about Mulholland Dr.))

"If I hadn't become a director, I would have been an architect, or maybe a painter. In other words, I think I'm someone who has things to show rather than things to say."
-- Michelangelo Antonioni, 1912-2007

Essential:
L'Avventura (1960)
Blow-Up (1967)
The Passenger (1975)

1 comment:

Jan said...

I noticed in yesterday's Star Gazette that Bergman's funeral was described. A pine box and roses and no eulogies, just cello and Bach at his request. Which made me think that his films are eulogy enough - like Antonioni, he showed us our inside and out.